THE AIM AT THE MOMENT IS TO MOVE FROM A BLENDED LEARNING ENVIRONMENT INTO ONE WHICH IS MORE DIGITALLY-DRIVEN - I'M WRITING THIS AS MY OWN ANECDOTAL NOTES AND REFLECTIONS AND TO GIVE OTHERS AN IDEA OF WHAT TO EXPECT.
First morning running learning from a digital platform.
From our slower set up day on Monday I decided not to do any new content learning today. I cut my expectations in half. And still achieved less than I would have hoped for. The children are very capable in the areas they are used to - navigating media and looking up information but there's still a lot to learn.
The main learning is online self management - the answer to "What do we do now?" is online. So its like teaching a new way of reading a maths or reading taskboard and its going to take a little time to make this the automatic way of looking for what next. Some of the children began to get this and started reminding each other where they could look.
There were huge issues with getting Google docs going in different environments on different devices. I could not have aimed at doing any substantial content teaching whilst introducing this. It would have been counterproductive - for this week, this IS the teaching.
In maths I only aimed at achieving: everyone doing some Mathletics time; everyone doing basic facts practice; entering their score on a shared Google doc plus a couple of workshop sessions to discuss how to go about doing the geometry project and that was it. We got through this but it took nearly two hours. I told them I'd expect all of that to happen within a 30 minute time slot once we're up and running. The good thing is its easy to keep track of the basic facts information, as it comes up on the Teacher dashboard. The Mathletics was great too, the reports were easy to read and I could easily see and set the next steps for the children.
I'm impressed that everyone is being very patient.
For our quickwrite, many of the children continued writing in the doc they used on Monday. It was only the second time they did it and it was way more efficient and competent. . Teacher dashboard has helped so I can comment on all the docs either in real time or later. That's encouraging, to affirm it will get easier.
For the novels - we just sat down and read. I was going to show them a Quizlet example but decided it was too much new information for one day.
We did good old-fashioned role plays in RE.
In the afternoon we did the "Environments for Learning" work Environments for Learning and they had their first experience of writing in a shared Google doc. It was hilarious. I had it up on the projector and they worked in groups of two or three. They discussed the ways they learn and what sort of environments would suit these ways of learning. Then when they were writing they tripped over each other's cursors and accidentally deleted work. Some children took this naturally as accidental, others got cross. So we discussed protocols and ways of working with Google docs - such as putting in lots of returns at the beginning and putting your cursor away from others which were already writing. Our first effort at a shared Google doc: https://docs.google.com/a/stjoseph.school.nz/document/d/1tFtGF-KoNJmcO7fLLeojekmAiLDryPKq6xCzdo2nXk0/edit - (this is just shared within St Joseph's as its a work in progress).